Wednesday 16 March 2011

My kinda Calzone or stuffed bread creation recipe!

So last Thursday I had the tribe (my family) coming over for lunch, and I needed to come up with something quick that they would enjoy and that was filling. As I was laying in bed thinking of all the washing and sweeping (yes I sweep) I had to get done before they arrived, I came up with an idea for some kind of bready, calzone, pepper creation. Bread you say? Quick? Bread is actually quick to make, it's the proving and rising that takes the time. So I got dressed and ready and headed to the kitchen. If I got the bread dough made first, it could be rising on a sunny window while I cleaned! So hear it is....

Bread
2 Tablespoons of dried yeast
A good pinch of salt
Half a teaspoon of sugar
3 cups of  plain flour
Half a cup of olive oil
Half a cup of warm not hot water

Filling
Glug of olive oil
1 Red onion sliced into half moons
1 Red pepper sliced into half moons
Pinch of salt
Pinch of black pepper
and a small handfull of sage, chopped

In a bowl mix the yeast with the sugar, oil and warm water. This will activate the yeast. Then add the flour. Each bag of flour is different depending on age, crop and gluten content, so the dough mix maybe a little wet and sticky (add more flour) or too dry (add some more water). Give it a good mix with a wooden spoon and when it looks like it's coming together, remove any rings from your fingers and get your hands in! Flour your surface and start giving the dough a good knead. 5 - 10 mins should do.
Then grease your bowl and pop the dough back in the bowl and leave to rise. I left mine about 2 hours.

When it has doubled in size, pre heat your oven to 180c. Then start frying your red pepper and onion in a pan with the olive oil, salt and pepper. When they are coloured add the sage and cook for a couple of minutes to release the oils from the herb leaves.


Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and pop the dough into the centre of the tray and spread it out with your fingers to form a large circle. Place the onion and pepper mixture into the middle of the dough and slowly turn the edges to the middle to encase the pepper mix inside the dough circle. Then when it is sealed, flip the whole thing over so the join is underneath the dough dome and so you are left with a smooth top. Place in the oven for around 30 minutes, but keep an eye on it!
Serve with salad or just as it is!




A hush came over the tribe as they ate, which I took as a good sign.

2 comments:

  1. that's the cutest little header!..and the calzone looks yummy..now following.. hope you can too, i just started also and would really appreciate the support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big deerly bloved thankyou! I designed and drew the header myself so saying you think it's cute means alot! Hope you enjoy reading my blog! x

    ReplyDelete