Sunday 2 October 2011

Wonderful and quick cashew nut 'cheese'.


This is an amazing little recipe that I put on my pizzas all the time, but it's also great on crackers, in sandwiches, as a dip with chopped up veggies and you could also make it as an extra indulgent white sauce in a lasagne or moussaka.
This recipe will make enough for the top of a couple of large pizzas, be sure to double or triple the recipe for white sauce! If you want a smoother sauce, soak your cashews for a few hours or overnight to make them extra creamy. I tend to make this spare of the moment, when Kyle has been on a night shift and he gives me those little puppy dog eyes, which means please feed me, I need pizza. (It's one of his favourite) And when I am busy making yummy cakes for lots of other people, I guess I have to be a good girlfriend and make something yummy for him too so he doesn't feel hard done by!


Ingredients:

1 cup of cashews
1/2 cup of water
3 tbs of nutritional yeast flakes
1 garlic clove
4 sun dried tomatoes (the ones in oil)
3 tbs of the tomato oil
1/2 teaspoon of cider vinegar
Pinch of salt

Measure out each ingredient and pop it in a food processor and simply blitz until it becomes smoothish! Check for seasoning and then spoon it on your pizza or what ever you decide to use it in or on! 
It's that simple but mighty delicious!



5 comments:

  1. that sounds great, will be trying next time I make pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, I've made something like this before but only used it on sandwiches, never thought of putting it on pizza, will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried this using almonds? We've got loads to use up so might have a go if you think it'd work? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried making cashew cheese before, this sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried it with almonds! It is a bit of a richer almondy taste but is still great! I find hazelnuts work well too. I reason I use cashews as they have a much creamier texture as they are higher in good fats and have a more neutral taste. But go ahead and and mix it up! That's what good cookings all about!

    ReplyDelete